Sunday, September 28, 2008

Birthday





























I found mom out in my backyard this morning when I got up. She'd already amassed a pile of weeded ivy. She has big plans. It's going to be nice back there. I finally started on my closet (I'd been avoiding it) and got through several boxes while Carol helped with kitchen stuff.

Eventually we decided we should do something and mom suggested the Petrified Forest National Park. It's about an hour and a half to the east. We got a bit of a late start but the drive was beautiful. We got off 40 in Holbrook which is on 66. We decided we would definitely need to book a night here at some point. Shantastic also needs to bring her niece by at some point. There were a number of rock museums/gift stores with huge dinosaurs out front.

The park was gorgeous and we were around for the sunset so the colors on everything shifted between coming and going. I'll have to find time to go back and explore more. Again, I'll have pictures soon. We took a ton. It was good the place was pretty deserted, we kept stopping the car randomly when the scenery changed or when we thought we spotted wildlife (an antelope and a jackrabbit (or possibly a jackalope)).

We didn't get back to Flagstaff until 9ish so were very relieved Oregano's would seat us. We had pizza and I got a free pizza cookie to share without getting sung to (yay!).

Overall, it was an excellent birthday and I'm thrilled mom and Carol were here to share it.

2 comments:

belsum said...

Yay! I'm glad you had a good birthday! Sounds like a lovely day. I haven't been to the Petrified Forest since I was a kid. I would love to go back.

akg said...

You and the family are welcome to visit anytime. We didn't get a ton of time to explore so I'd be happy to go back. And I'd love to meet you in person (especially the Captain, he'd be fun to follow around. He'd fit right in in the sci-fi landscape).