Monday, October 6, 2008

Technical writing

In my continuing quest to avoid going to the office, I took a technical writing course (actually recommended by my sponsors) today. I as allowed to skip the engineering writing class at WMU because of my many lit credits so I've never had the official version. A lot of it was common sense but it was good to think about the steps and try to be more organized. The most exciting part for me (because I am a grammar nerd) was the news that the Oxford comma is being taught as the best way again. I've had a lot of people argue for leaving it out but I think sentences are much more clear with it.

After class, I did some more unpacking until Michelle came to pick me up for G's QE Conference. They've gathered all their quality engineers from various divisions to Flagstaff for lectures and bonding (on wednesday. We had to fill out a medical form for whatever they have planned). Tonight was the opening remarks and dinner. Michelle introduced me to a girl from her orientation who grew up in Cincinnati. She was very excited to hear I'll be visiting and may be giving me a shopping list of food. She agreed that having to leave my goetta in SJ was tragic.

After the dinner, Michelle and I watched HIMYM and then I did some rearranging in my living room. I've had my tv on the coffee table but I build the actual stand/bookcase over the weekend and drilled holes in the back so I shifted everything and put down my rug. I talked to La-z-boy this morning and my couch and chair will be delivered on saturday so I need to make space. I'm excited about having furniture there so I can have people over for a movie if I want to. And Michelle and I are going to restart our knitting/tv watching night (I'm hoping I can hook her on Pushing Daisies so we can go with wednesdays).

2 comments:

belsum said...

Seriously. When are you going to start, you know, your job? Hee!

akg said...

Tomorrow, I swear!