Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Chocolate Falls

When the snow starts to melt in Northern Arizona (and during monsoon season), the Little Colorado river fills and its Grand Falls becomes impressive.  A group of us drove out to see during the last week in March.  It's on Navajo land and isn't easy to get to (we made Tim and new Matt drive their SUVs) so I don't think it ever gets crowded.

The drive in was beautiful but pretty empty.


Our first stop was the top of the waterfall.  You can see the San Fransisco Peaks in the distance.


Jill took a picture of us (I'm not sure what Justin is doing).


Then Matt attempted to push Matt in the river to test the temperature:


The falls are 185 ft high (higher than Niagara) and definitely worth the drive.  I couldn't capture all of it in one shot.  Here's part 1:


And part 2:


And here's the river continuing west:


Here's a rainbow in the spray:


To get a sense of the size, you can see a roof over a picnic bench to the right:


And here are some tiny people at the top:


And a shot of the mess at the bottom.  I wasn't sure if the tires were really car sized until I zoomed in.


Because it gets dark so early here, we packed a picnic dinner to eat while we admired the view.  It was delicious.

No comments: